People of Truth
"Thus says the Lord concerning the prophets who lead my people astray, who cry 'Peace' when they have something to eat, but declare war against him who puts nothing into their mouths. 6 Therefore it shall be night to you, without vision, and darkness to you, without divination.The sun shall go down on the prophets, and the day shall be black over them;
7 the seers shall be disgraced, and the diviners put to shame; they shall all cover their lips, for there is no answer from God. 8 But as for me, I am filled with power, with the Spirit of the Lord, and with justice and might, to declare to Jacob his transgression and to Israel his sin. 9 Hear this, you heads of the house of Jacob and rulers of the house of Israel, who detest justice and make crooked all that is straight, 10 WHO BUILD ZION WITH BLOOD AND JERUSALEM WITH INIQUITY. 11 Its heads give judgment for a bribe; its priests teach for a price; its prophets practice divination for money; yet they lean on the Lord and say, 'Is not the Lord in the midst of us? No disaster shall come upon us.' 12 Therefore because of you Zion shall be plowed as a field; Jerusalem shall become a heap of ruins, and the mountain of the house a wooded height." Micah 3:5-12
"'With what shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? 7 Will the Lord be pleased with [a] thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?' 8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, [b] and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:6-8
1. We walk before the God who has spoken and who brings human flourishing or withholds His blessing (3:4). THEREFORE, we will live as called out disciples of Jesus (3:12). Pilgrim solemnly responded to those at Vanity Fair “we buy the truth.”
“At the heart of liberty is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.” Justice Anthony Kennedy
2. Life is a sacred gift from the Lord (3:10); THEREFORE, the sanctity of human life is a hinge/linchpin issue. In light of this we prayerfully support ministries and individuals who advocate or defend life from conception until natural death (Baptist Faith and Message, Article 15), as they live out the realities of that world view.
3. We are to live and speak the truth of Holy Scripture; THEREFORE, we will do so with the sense of utter dependence upon the Lord as we pray as we desire to embody justice, mercy, and humility. 3:8, 6:7-8.
1. Could the quote by Justice Kennedy lead to “an open ended validation of subjectivism” (Bill Bennett)? What are some results of the denial of truth in our day and age?
2. Do you agree that the sanctity of human life is a hinge issue that holds other key concepts together (addresses the issues of racism, regionalism, elitism, pornography, sexism, etc.)?
3. Why were the Hutus in Rwanda in 1994 able to cry out “kill the cockroaches” as they put to death more than seven hundred thousand Tutsis (Rwanda and a Nation of 10 Million People)? How is that being manifested today?
4. How does 1 Peter 3:15 give understanding to concepts in Micah 6:8?
“Set NOT your hearts on the flowers of the world. They shall fade and die. Prize the Rose of Sharon and the Lily of the Valley. He changes not! Live nearer to Christ than to any person on this earth; so that when they are taken, you may have Him to love and lean upon.” Robert Murray McCheyne